Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Caffe Puccini

We re-visited Caffe Puccini in the Fort Strip, the older, well, strip of restaurants in the Fort before there was a Bonifacio High Street. I was surprised to find that many of the restaurants are still there despite the competition from the newer restaurants in High Street.

We first ate in Caffe Puccini three to four years ago, but even after all these years, the place still looks fresh and well-maintained.
Bread basket. The edges were crunchy but the middle part was still soft, the characteristics of good bread as described in Ratatouille.
Mushroom risotto. I loved how the rice was firm but not undercooked and how the different tastes of the mushrooms used was brought out in this dish.
Homemade pasta with black truffle and sun-dried tomatoes. This dish was the least popular as the best way to describe it was it tasted like Chinese style noodles, however, I found its lack of flavoring and cream or tomato sauce to be refreshing.
Half vegetarian, half mushroom pesto pizza. This pizza cooked in wood fire was a little different because the crust was neither too thick nor too thin, and its appearance and texture resembled a less greasy version of Pizza Hut's pan pizza more than that of other pizzas cooked in the same way.
The taste and quality of the food reminded me of Pagliacci in The Podium, the best Italian place I have tried so far, but I find the ambience in Caffe Puccini to be more relaxing. The service was also excellent.

I'm hoping to avoid Italian food for a while, though, to "re-format" my taste buds and be able to appreciate it more. Until then, I will have to remember to quit writing about pizzas and pastas.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...