Sunday, June 28, 2009

BPS Goes Street Style

Kat Dennings was that unforgettable girl Jenny Brier in Sex and the City's episode of "Hot Child in the City." She was that 13 y.o. girl who, according to Carrie, dressed like they (Carrie et al.) did and who uttered the very inappropriate line "I have been giving bl*wj*bs since I was 12." I think her confidence was just admirable.

Fast forward 6 years, I rediscovered Kat Dennings as Nora in Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, opposite Juno and Superbad cutie Michael Cera as Nick. Then, I spotted her (with Olivia Thirlby) on the cover of Nylon's May 2009 issue dabbed "the young hollywood issue" wearing a fuschia graffiti tee from the Louis Vuitton Stephen Sprouse collection, nonetheless.
So I picked up a copy of Nylon and discovered that it is all about eclectic street style. It featured street fashion from NY to Japan as well as a lot of t-shirts, shorts, loose pants, and colorful kicks alongside high, high heels. I loved that the fashion spreads looked relaxed and not stiff but still very stylish. Instead of advertisements, Nylon is packed with features about fashion, people, music, books, movies, places, etc.

I noticed last year that high cut kicks have made a comeback, and now most major sneaker brands have produced their own high cut versions of their sneakers. So taking inspiration from the spreads in Nylon, I decided to set out and find me some t-shirts and a pair of the most colorful or brightest sneakers I could find.

Finding the right tee was not easy. I wanted something loose but with a good fit and preferably with a band logo/name/members print. Most ladies' shirts while long were fit on the body, and I couldn't find a single band tee anywhere. So I ended up looking in the men's section in Lane Crawford and chanced upon the perfect tee from Paul Smith. Although it was not a band tee, the print looked slightly faded and the fabric, which was 100% organic cotton, was so soft that the shirt was just irresistible.
Then, also in Lane Crawford (what will I do without you?), I spotted the (again) perfect pair of high cut colorful sneakers by Puma. (After my research, I discovered that my sneakers are called Puma 917 Mid Factory Angel Blue-Flame Orange and that they are actually men's sneakers. Why do guys get all the cute shirts and sneakers?) The cut of my sneakers is actually just semi-high, which is great because I don't have the long, long legs to carry an actual high-cut pair. After numerous visits in Lane Crawford Tsim Sha Tsui (2x), Central, Admiralty, and Causeway Bay (2x), I was finally able to purchase the last pair of size 37s in HK. Whew!
The final step is to actually put my outfit together. Then I will set out and find me a pair of ripped jeans that I can roll up. teehee

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...