Tuesday, July 27, 2010

NYC: Day 5 (Columbia University, Guggenheim, 5th Ave)

Day 5 will be remembered as the day when I limped around NYC during a heat wave. By midday, I couldn't ignore the pain in my ankle so I dropped by Filene's Basement to see if I could score a pair of Converses on sale. (I was wearing my ballet flats in the morning, but even these were now uncomfortable to walk around in.) This was my last resort before I switched to my trainers. Fortunately, I found a pair of Keds which helped ease the pain for a few hours. (Notice the lack of photos taken on this day.)

In the morning, I visited Columbia University, then made a stop at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine at 112th St. After lunch, I headed to the Upper East Side by crossing Central Park to go to Guggenheim Museum then proceeded to meet up with Queen J also along 5th Ave by mid-afternoon. We had one of our most relaxed nights yet just looking around and doing a bit of shopping.

Walking around Columbia felt like I was in another time and place (disregarding the obvious, the time difference and the fact that I was on the other side of the globe). Below, Low Library and St. Paul's Chapel.
Cathedral of St. John the Divine, I would later on realize that there are numerous well-preserved/restored churches/cathedrals in NYC and after a while, they all started to look alike.
Inside Guggenheim, photos were allowed only on the first floor.
Getting a big, yummy vegetarian burrito at Mexican fast food chain Chipotle, where I met up with Queen J.
Saks was under renovation.
Shot by Queen J who loved these home decor stuff.
Stopping by Banana Republic, which was on sale, as most of the stores were when we were there.
The Statue of Atlas outside The Rock facing St. Patrick's Cathedral
St. Patrick's Cathedral, I wasn't comfortable taking photos inside churches, but I did take a couple of shots inside each since other tourists were clicking away.
One of the many Sephoras around. Planning but failing to buy a complete set of skincare products as I couldn't determine if I would be able to save much due to the sales tax. From what I recall, some skincare brands like Chanel are cheaper in Guam, which is a duty free zone.
Spot Queen J and me on this giant monitor outside F21 in Theater District (hint, upper left corner)
That's it for Day 5. We had dinner at Yoshinoya also in the Theater District because I saw that they had vegetarian sushi. Unfortunately, it was late when we got there and the sushi wasn't available anymore. Day 6 was a busy, busy day to make up for all the sightseeing I wasn't able to do on this day. Till my next post!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...