Saturday, July 2, 2011

Charlie's Shrooms

Indulging in a burger is a rare occasion for a vegetarian living in a vegetarian unfriendly city. Here's Charlie's Shrooms Vegetarian with a side of fries and weird beer.
My top 2 choices were Rogue Juniper Pale and Ipa Hop Ottin'. Rogue looked exciting but a little too masculine. I went for Ipa which was recommended by the cashier.
Good choice but it took me a few sips to get accustomed to the taste. Php 205 per bottle
The tag has a brief description of the beer but it doesn't come close to capturing its taste. Best to just give it a try.
Finally, my Shrooms Vegetarian arrives. It turned out the portobello patty was breaded and deep fried with cheese. Garnishes included raw onions, lettuce and tomatoes, mayo and mustard. Everything blended well to create a tasty vegetarian burger, but I was hoping for a grilled version that would bring out the natural taste of portobello mushrooms. Instead, I get a guilt-filled number perfect for satisfying cravings. Buns were also not very fresh. The fat fries were not bad but the crunchy edges were fantastic. Php 315 for the burger, add Php 30 for the fries
To cap the night, we had an extra order of garlic parmesan fries which I paired with a bottle of Corona Extra. The fries were nothing like I expected (again). I was thinking of something along the lines of powdered flavoring, instead we got fries that were dunked in garlic mayo and parmesan. I loved it but agreed with the others that the garlic overpowered the taste of the parmesan. Php 125 for the fries, Php 140 for a bottle of Corona
One more thing, I hated the cheap tables and uncomfortable chairs but commend the guys behind Charlie's for thinking of a way to encourage fast turnover of customers. Overall, I'm happy I tried the portobello burger out but found it to be a little pricey. I might go back, though, to satisfy a burger craving.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...