Monday, August 10, 2009

Easy Like Sunday Morning

During the weekend, Lionel Richie's song from which the title of this post was taken from had been playing on repeat in my head since I was dragged out of bed on Saturday morning and was forced! (not true) to skip running to go to an unscheduled trip to Makati and Taguig with the family.

I started my day wrong with an awfully sweet cup of coffee from Starbucks. I wonder how much sugar I ingested that morning. The coffee was so terrible I had to set things right by ordering an Americano during lunch at Abe.

I was happy, though, that there are still good things that can be had at Starbucks, like the Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Bagel I ordered with my coffee. After heating it up, the mozzarella was dripping and oozing from my bagel which was gigantic and sprinkled with healthy nuts.
We stopped by the Salcedo Market, and everyone got excited. I was thrilled to see grilled corn and so many large and colorful totes from Prada to simple woven ones to kitschy bags made of recycled tetra packs carried by the quite fashionable shoppers. Queen J was transported to another world after seeing the street foods from her childhood, including taho, sorbetes, steamed peanuts, and even cotton candy! Ma was going from stall to stall looking at the homemade goodies like suman and cookies and the fresh produce that abound in the Saturdays-only market. Pa was just watching us and taking as many photos as he could.
I love plants but I don't have a green thumb, all the plants I owned in the past did not live long. In this photo was the only tote I got a chance to take a picture of. I'm too shy to be caught taking paparazzi pictures of strangers.
The music added gaiety to the already fiesta-like market.
This mamang sorbetero hails from Sucat, Paranaque. His transportation to Makati costs him Php 800 and the space, Php 250.
This is best when sprinkled with milk powder.
I miss Hong Kong food!
During lunch, the parents and I were surprised to discover that Queen J refused to order anything four-legged in Abe. Could this be the beginning of her journey to vegetarianism? But we all knew better than to press her for answers, so we celebrated with 4 vegetarian dishes, 3 of which were cooked in gata (coconut milk). Yikes!
I love impulse shopping. During the afternoon, my day proved to be far better than when it began. We went to Echostore, half eco-friendly store, half restaurant. There were a lot of interesting things to see like purses made of woven Coke can openers, straw rope, and laminated paper. But the best item was the stacks of bangles made of wood chips I discovered half hidden beside the shelves of purses which were probably the store's best sellers. Queen J and I went crazy picking out one bangle each.
I like the paper bag made from magazine pages.
Afterwards, while trying to find a copy of Preview August 2009 in Fully Booked without luck (really, Summit Media shouldn't make readers wait this long (a week!) to get ahold of a copy! seething, as I made multiple trips to different bookstores to get one without success!), I discovered a 2010 diary by Cath Kidston! I had been trying to find a bag by the same store in HK since last year, so I was ecstatic when I saw the diary, the pages of which were printed with Cath Kidston's signature floral prints.
http://www.cathkidston.co.uk/p-13682-cath-kidston-rose-bunch-book-bag.aspx
I was also finally able to visit Theodore's the Store, but sadly came out empty-handed. Sigh..
I ended the shopping day with a huuuge slice of cheese pizza and mixed soft-served ice cream from S&R. It was a very sinful day, eating-wise.
When I got home, a package was waiting for me. F dropped off his gifts from Mumbai which included an exquisite grayish red scarf. Thank you!
Oh, my day wasn't quite done yet. I watched G.I. Joe The Rise of Cobra (ridiculous, but Channing was hunky with a scar on his right cheek!) with a bunch of friends. DJ, clad in a boyfriend jacket and pouffy skirt(!!!), looked really stylish. Queen J asked if I took pictures and I couldn't believe that I forgot. Again!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...