Thursday, February 10, 2011

HK Vegetarian: Afternoon Tea at Paramita Vegetarian Restaurant

Due to the lack of really good, purely vegetarian places here in Manila, I was determined to find and try as many new vegetarian restaurants in HK during my last trip. One of the places that Queen J and I tried was Paramita Vegetarian Restaurant at Lee Theater Plaza in Causeway Bay.
To drive customers during lean hours, dimsum in the afternoon is discounted in many yumcha places in HK. Unfortunately, the afternoon tea menu in Paramita was in Chinese (although the main menu had English translations)! I did recognize some of the items while the manager helped translate the rest for us.
She failed to mention, though, that some of the stuff we ordered were (a) similar and (b) fried. So we ended up with 2 orders of these fried lumpia, which made us full right away. 
It's my first time to try vegetarian "shark's fin" soup, which, in my opinion, was as close to the real thing as fake could get. It's shark's fin soup minus all the oil and guilt.
We also ordered my favorite, beancurd roll (bottom right), ma lai ko, and one forgettable dimsum wrapped in seaweed. The beancurd roll was much better than the one in Kung Tak Lam since it wasn't overstuffed and the beancurd skin was still slightly crispy.
Finally, my other favorite dimsum, radish cake. A really good radish cake must have chunks of radish in it. It's also better if it's slightly greasy, like this one from Paramita, rather than dry and full of flour.
Overall, I had a good dining experience in Paramita. The service was excellent, and the place, spacious and clean. Given the convenience of its location, I can now add it to one of the places I will visit regularly (when I'm in Hong Kong). Plus, Paramita has more and better dimsum variants to offer than Kung Tak Lam.

Paramita Vegetarian Restaurant
Shop B, 7/F, Lee Theater Plaza
99 Percival Street
Across the street from the back entrance of Times Square
Afternoon tea dimsum around HKD 18-22 each

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...