Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To Primer or Not To Primer?

One of the generous, travel-sized samples I received from YSL was their Oil-Free Complexion Enhancer. Recently, sales assistants in many cosmetic counters have been pushing their primers or makeup bases. According to them the purpose of the primer is to protect the skin from and enhance one's makeup. 
My initial stand on primers: an additional, previously non-existent therefore unnecessary, step to the whole makeup process

The YSL primer experience: I applied this 5-10 minutes after I put on moisturizer and before I applied concealer or powder foundation. Its consistency is thick and it blends in well with my skin. I am left with a matte and smooth canvas for makeup application. During days that I used this primer I noticed that it took longer for my skin to become oily, therefore, less makeup smudging.

The downside: The primer doesn't blend well with thicker moisturizers such as Olay, which I used during the colder months. This might be an issue of not allowing enough time for the moisturizer to be absorbed by the skin before applying the primer, but I can't be entirely sure.

The conclusion: I found the experience to be so positively satisfying that I was tempted to get a bottle of primer to replace this sample, but I'm not completely sure yet that I would want to add one more product to put on my skin. Maybe another time when I finish my sample.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...