Sunday, April 25, 2010

Another Anniversary

It's been a year now since I turned vegetarian for Earth Day last year. Looking back, I think I survived mostly on these:
Mushroom and truffle cream home-made pasta and vegetarian pizza both from Pagliacci

While vegetarian, not to mention delicious, a carbo-loaded diet is not really healthy. I'm thinking of more ways to sustain a vegetarian lifestyle that is not especially dependent on Italian food. I've also been considering a vegan diet, but eliminating eggs and dairy requires a whole new level of commitment. Plus, I believe a vegan lifestyle will render me completely devoid of any social life should I do it--think no pizza or desserts at all.

So in pursuit of a more diversified vegetarian meal, I cooked myself vegetarian fried rice inspired by the Shanghainese vegetable rice. Except my version contains capers and sesame seed paste. I think it looks quite appetizing since the capers are not visible from this photo.
I haven't cooked in months since I don't do the grocery shopping anymore. I used to love doing this in HK. The sight of all the fresh fruits and vegetables in Citysuper made me giddy with excitement. I tried grocery shopping once here and found the selection very limited, plus I ended up with really awful apples. So now I stick to shopping for cereals and chips since these, we have a lot of. Below, the abundant selection of fresh fruits and vegetables in a local grocery in Tumon, Guam.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...