Saturday, November 27, 2010

Omakase @ Greenhills Carpark

N and I finally found the time to celebrate his birthday (one month after the actual date) and to catch up. I suggested that we dine at Omakase in Greenhills Carpark since I had never tried the restaurant before. I went there not knowing what to expect with the food, but knowing N and me, I was prepared to stay awake for another couple of hours after dinner as we both tend to order too much food.

I started with the seaweed salad, which I was delighted to find in their menu as it is my favorite Japanese snack from Sogo in HK. It tasted exactly as I remember it, crunchy and lightly seasoned.
N ordered tamago sushi and crunchy California maki to share. I think the sushi was passable but not special.
For the main course, I had kakiage, a mix of thin strips of veggies and squid in tempura batter (I requested to have the squid removed), and an extra order of garlic rice. I appreciate that the kakiage didn't taste like it was cooked in old oil and that the batter was not thick.
My favorite would have to be the garlic rice. The Japanese version of this Filipino breakfast staple is fragrant and slightly brown, the rice round and a little bit sticky but not clumped together. When done right, Japanese garlic rice is so good that it can be eaten without any viands. Omakase's was exactly like this.
Unfortunately, N wasn't too happy with his aspara-beef roll (no picture).

I washed down my fried meal with hot tea, which I'm happy was not diluted.
Overall, it was a very satisfying meal in a nice restaurant. (Thanks N for dinner.) One downside was that the place was slightly cramped. The tables were so near to each other that one could hear snippets of conversation from the next table if one chose to.
Omakase is located at the carpark right across Mister Donut. The ground level entrance is right beside Globe. The restaurant is located at the second level and there is an entrance there as well from the carpark.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...